Children learn by example. Your good eating and exercise habits are doubly important when you have children.
These tips can help encourage your kids to eat right.
- Made sure there is always a good supply of fresh fruit and vegetables in the house.
- Select the low-fat* choices when eating fast food.
- Pack them a healthy lunch. Include something crisp, something chewy and something with color.
- Choose desserts that are low fat* and not loaded with sugar: fresh fruit, angel food cake, frozen fruit bars, low fat frozen yogurt or fat free pudding.
- Allow children to be involved in making meals from scratch.
To encourage kids to exercise, try some of the following.
- Make it a family affair and make it fun. Turn a walk into a treasure hunt. Make a list of items for a child to find or spot like a leaf, a white dog, find a stop sign, etc.
- Minimize the risk of children getting hurt by wearing safety equipment for the activity. Eg. helmets when biking or elbow pads when rollerskating.
- Make sure everyone is prepared for physical activity. Drink plenty of water, do warm up and cool down stretch and have fun!
- Restrict TV and or video game time to two hours a day or less.
- Exercise is fun!
*Children under the age of two need calories from fat for normal grouth and development, their diet should not be restricted in fat.
Little Yogis, Kids Yoga at Yoga Center Palm Desert, 73875 Hwy 111.
Tuesdays from 4-5. Reserve a mat for your little yogsi. 760 413 6297