Thirteen Palm desert businesses are teaming up with the Coachella Valley Rescue Mission for it's annual Backpack Bonanza program, running through August 18th.,
The goal of the program is to provide new backpacks and school supplies to 3,000 low-income children across the Coachella Valley. According to CVRM, 31% of the children in the valley live below poverty levels. Of the homeless population, 20% are children under the age of 18 and there are 193,796 homeless public school students in California.
In addition to new backpacks, needed supplies include safety scissors, #2 pencils, college rule paper, spiral notebooks, 24 crayon boxes, glue sticks, rulers, colored pencils, pink erasers, folders, pencil boxes, 3” binders, highlighters, calculators and index cards.
The assembled backpacks will be given away between 8:00 a.m. and noon on August 18th.
Donation boxes in Palm Desert can be found at the following sites:
- , 41990 Cook Street, Suite J901
- Cathy Helmstadter & Associates CPAs, 73600 Highway 111
- , 73605 Dinah Shore Drive, Suite 100A
- , 73612 Highway 111
- , 43875 Washington Street, Suite A
- , 72-185 Painters Path, Suite B
- , 72920 Parkview Drive
- KPLM Radio, 75-153 Merle Drive, Suite G
- , 77772 Flora Road, Suite G
- , 73-670 El Paseo
- , 39-301 Badger Street, Suite 300
- , 47-321 Highway 74
- , 74-200 Country Club Drive