Applicants must have completed 8th grade and have grade point averages 2.0 or better, according to organizers. They must complete the application and interview process, and a physical agility test that includes:
- Hose Load: Carry a roll of 2.5-inch hose a minimum of 300 feet
- Hose Drag: Drag 150 feet of single jacket hose to the fully extended position
- Hose Pack Carry: Carry a 1.5-inch hose pack with two rolls of wildland hose a distance of 600 feet
- Ladder Climb: Ascend a 24-foot ladder
According to Cal Fire-Riverside County, Fire Explorers receive the following benefits:
- The opportunity to learn teamwork and leadership skills
- High School credits
- Competitive activities at Fire Explorer Musters
- Challenge, Hard Work, Fun, and Friendship!
For more info click here and call Coachella Fire Station 79 between now and Nov. 1 at (760) 398-8895. Station 79 is at 1377 6th St. in Coachella.