A three-alarm blaze that caused $8 million in damage to a Palm Desert hotel and left one firefighter injured was caused by a malfunction in rooftop electrical equipment, the Riverside County Fire Department reported Tuesday.
It took crews about four hours to bring the blaze at the Marriott Fairfield Inn at 72300 Highway 111 under control. A firefighter was transported to a hospital with unspecified injuries.
The hotel's 35 occupied rooms and 16 employees were all evacuated safely. The hotel is currently uninhabitable, county fire spokeswoman Jody Hagemann said.
More than 100 firefighters from the county, Cal Fire, Palm Springs and Cathedral City responded to the blaze about noon Monday.
Click here to see video from the fire via KESQ.
– City News Service.