Last year's BNP Paribas Open women's champion won't be taking home a trophy this year. That's because she suddenly withdrew from play ahead of the quarterfinals, officials announced Thursday.
The BNP Paribas Open posted the following message on their site Thursday:
Top seed and defending champion Victoria Azarenka withdrew from the BNP Paribas Open with a right ankle injury Thursday.
Azarenka was due to face 2011 champion Caroline Wozniacki in a late-afternoon match on Stadium 1.
Following the withdrawal ofSam Stosur earlier in the day, Angelique Kerber was sent into the semifinals. Kerber and Wozniacki will face off in a semifinal Friday.
“On my warmup today I tested it out as much as possible,” Azarenka said in a press conference Thursday afternoon. “I tried absolutely everything I could to do, but I have been advised by the doctor, by my own team, that it’s just a very, very high risk already. I mean, it’s already really painful, but it’s very high risk to make it much worse.”
Tournament officials say Azarenka has yet to lose a match this year after pulling out of Brisbane with a toe injury and then winning the Australian Open and a tour stop in Dubai in February.
“[I'm] very disappointed,” said Azarenka. “Extremely disappointed, because I feel I’m playing really well right now. I was so excited to be playing here. I love this tournament. You know, to be in the quarterfinals is nothing that can be less frustrating playing. But I have to think a little bit in the long term. I’m going to be back here next year to play, and I’ll be as excited again. But I am very disappointed.”